Thank you very much.  My strategy now will be:

tar xzvf (xfree86 tarball)
cd xc
make World
cd xc/programs/ ... /drivers/neomagic
xmkmf ../../../../../.. programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/neomagic
make includes
make depend
make
make install

Am I on the right track now with this strategy ?

Will the final `make install` put the new hacked up neomagic driver into
my existing X installation (that I had even before I untarred the X
source) or should I maybe copy it in by hand and skip the `make install` ?

thanks a lot for your help.