On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:19:12PM -0400, David Dawes wrote:
> >No, it's that widely held.  Been on mailing lists since I had a bang path.
> >It's harmful.  Believe me.
>
> It's still an *opinion*.  11 years of dealing with XFree86 mailing
> lists have shown me that for everyone who agrees with it, there is
> at least one who disagrees.  The biggest difference is that those
> who agree with it are more likely to be so fanatical about it that
> they'll use their last breath to insist that it's a right vs wrong
> issue rather than an *opinion*.
>
> No amount of rehashing this tired old topic will serve any useful
> purpose.

It's not my list.

It *IS* probably a good idea to point out that the list does such munging at
the point of signup, though.  There have been divorces.  No, I'm not kidding.
... Yeah, an X Window list is *not* all that likely to cause a divorce.  :-)

And actually, no, it's not an opinion; it's a cost benefit analysis.  *I*
make the costs much higher than the benefits, and *that* is an opinion.  A
professional opinion; yes, I *do* make a living at this Internet stuff.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c