Miguel and Ron:

> Ye has little overhead, but by default terminal aplications don't need it.
> TRACE is a good tool for developers, but not for released.

I respectfully but strongly disagree.

First of all to clarify the bigger picture for Miguel:
Thank you so much for all the great work you've been doing.
This is one tiny decision I think should go the other way, but it's
insignificant against all the great decisions you've been implementing.

Meanwhile re HB_NO_TRACE:
This flag was only implemented to remove
__TRACEPRGCALLS and one other trace in hb_itemNew ()

__TRACEPRGCALLS was created as a In-The-Field debugging tool to find
where a GPF or Hang occurs by tracing up to the point where things die.
It is important that it be available in releases so it can be
turned on via the function call.

We ran some tests, and in 5 full seconds of initialization of a
large Fivewin app, cranking tens of thousands of Prg calls, the times with
defining HB_NO_TRACE or not were completely imperceptible.
In several runs, Windows being what it is, the code WITH the Trace enabled
(remember this only means there are "if hb_bTracePrgCalls" tests, with no
actual tracing) was sometimes faster.

So we will be building xHarbour for ourselves with the new #define to
enable this function, but FWIW I don't think we should be changing
default behaviors without being able to demonstrate any real benefit.

Just my two cents.

Thanks again,

--
Brian Hays