> > Also I had a lot of trouble today with filters, until I realized that
they
> > fail if they print to standard output. I just wanted a simple filter to
make
> > a copy of every mail to another directory so I wrote a .bat file to do
that,
> > but the copy command wrote a line to stdout and then nothing worked.
That's
> > a nuisance. Couldn't xmail start the .bat file with write access to its
own
> > console? It would be nice to see the messages when running xmail in
debug
> > mode too.
>
> You've to run the .bat file with "cmd.exe -c ..."

No, that was not the problem. As an example, this doesn't work:

[mailproc.bat]
c:\inetpub\xmailroot\bin\sendmail --xinput-file %1 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
exit /b 0

whereas this works:

[mailproc.bat]
@echo off
c:\inetpub\xmailroot\bin\sendmail --xinput-file %1 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
exit /b 0

It's easy to make this mistake of not turning off echo in a .bat file or
doing something that generates output, and I think it would be a big
advantage not having to remember do it. If I hadn't had a vague memory of an
old post about this issue I would've never figured out why the bat file
didn't work.

There's also something I don't quite understand: My filter works when I in
the .tab file put in the line

"c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe" "/C" "c:\inetpub\xmailroot\bin\mailproc.bat"
"@@FILE" "@@FILE"

but not when I put in the line

"c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe" "/C" "c:\inetpub\xmailroot\bin\mailproc.bat"
"@@FILE"

To me the second line seems like it should work for calling the previous
batch file to copy the mail to another user.

I know I could call sendmail directly, but I originally had a .bat file to
copy the file and I'm still working out how I want to archive the copies.

Andreas