I'm not sure actually if JNI is what you want.  Basically it lets you call C
functions (ie from a dll if you are using windows) from Java.

The idea of telneting in, ie. in java I guess using a Stream is a way you can
talk to the SMTP/POP processes of XMail for one.

To call the current XMail Admin command line tool you could do that with shell
calls form java - this is the simplest of the three.

If you want to write a simple java admin tool - use option three.  If you do,
I can be your first user as I have been wanting such a tool :).  Alas I have
zero time at the moment so I couldn't develop it, but I would be more than
happy to help with any questions if I can.

If you want some tool which can send emil or read pop email for whatever
reason use option 2 (I was going to do this as a way of downloading bulk
emails from a single remote server and delivering them to xmail user accounts
a bit like pop3links, but instead from 1 account).  Again I don't have the
time to do it so I found another way.  Option 2 requires you to bone up
pretty heavily on the RFC's too.

Option 1 I guess you would use if you wanted some sort of wrapper for XMail -
why you would need that i'm not sure.  So I wouldn't consider the JNI, unless
you have somthing else in mind which would benifit from it :)

Cheers,

Will.

--
William Denniss - will@: http://www.omegadelta.net