On Wednesday 02 July 2003 13:25, Orion Productions wrote:
> I see no point in this, Java has never been a serious choice for
> professional applications, and I talk out of experience as a developer.
> Sun is doing stupid things with Java, and I bet it will be dead in a few
> years from now...  It's much better to look at the .NET Framework from
> Microsoft, companies worldwide embraced that platform because of its
> extensive functionality and good performance.  If you program in Java
> already, you will have no difficulty in learning C#, and that's a sure path
> to the future. Once you get to know the internals of the .NET Framework,
> you'll trash Java as some filthy crap. :-)  Believe me, you can do much
> neater things in much less time with .NET than you can ever even dream of
> with Java...

Ok, so lets write our "neat" cross platform XMail admin tool in .NET shall we
- we could even use J#! and utalise our "Java-language" investments.

Oh, what a shame our cross platform support would be restricted to the
different versions of windows, and not all of them at that.  Since XMail
supports many more operating systems that this, it would decrease our
potential user base.

On that topic of Java, I thank you kindly for your advice, but I shall
continue to use the solution you term "filthy crap" if that is ok by you.
Maybe I shall impart some advice to you, talking out of experience as a
developer.  Different projects have different goals, which quite often
require different programming tools to achieve them.  A linux project would
not be suitable for .NET for example.  If you wish to debate the merits of
using a particular programming language for a project, then by all means go
ahead.  But at least try and present rational statements, preferably backed
by fact.  Knowing the goals of the project might help too.  If you have no
interest in a project, then keep it that way and do everyone a favour.

Best Regards,

Will.