Hi Phil:

I've been getting similar error messages on our Linux XMail box with AV
Filter - "Filter error (-5)". In our case, when the filter fails, it starts
using CPU cycles at an incredible rate, like it's stuck in an infinite loop
or something. When enough of these filters fail (in our case, a couple
dozen), the server becomes extremely unresponsive, to the point where it
takes nearly 20 minutes to me to SSH in, start top, and kill all the hung
filter processes. (Yes, it would probably be easier to just hit the reset
button, but this server is in a co-lo facility 100 km away, and I like
uptime stats :-) )

Our system:
        XMail 1.17 (built from source, stock)
        RedHat Linux 9.0 (upgraded from RHL 7.3, plus additional updates from RHN)
        F-Prot antivirus 4.3.1 for Linux (installed from RPM)
        AV Filter 1.8

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the failures on our system -
sometimes the system will run fine for 24 hours or more without any hanging
filters, and then suddenly 3 or 4 of them will hang within the span of 10
seconds. We do not have any other filters running on XMail.

I have no idea if the problem lies in XMail, in Peter's filter, or possibly
even in F-Prot (gotta love debugging processes involving multiple programs
and vendors). Anyone else out there having a similar problem? Phil, what
anti-virus are you using with AV Filter?

Thanks to all.

Kirk.