I use the following setup: Mdk9.2, av 1.8, xmail 1.17, the server
handles approx 10000 messages a day since 2 weeks and it only happend
once 4 days ago to have the filter stuck at 99% CPU, since killing it
then, it never reapeared. Except for that single case everything worked
perfectly and the hit rate over the viruses is 100%.
I use antivir.de and ClamAV and I'll be also curious to see if that can
be debugged.

I suppose that may appear if the called external program dies suddenly (
segfault or something).

    Regards,

    Mircea