This is complicated, when from an MUA perspective, an ISP will accept you
smtp *only* if it is from its dialup/customer network.
ie. You are connected to the net via some other ISP (there are many reasons
for this) and you need to send mail.  Logically this would be sent to your
ISP's smtp server, but it is blocked because you are not on their network.

The other issue that causes the above scenario, is that most MUAs default to
*not* authenticated connection.  The ISPs try to make it as easy for the
dumb users as possible (obviously this list by nature does not have dumb
users - lets face it dumb users do not administer xmail server).  So to make
it easy they allow unauthenticated smtp delivery (from their network).

The biggest driver of authenticated MUA smtp delivery would be if the MUA
was written to try authenticated delivery first, then fell back to
unauthenticated.  Eventually most MUAs & ISPs would permit only
authenticated delivery.

That solves the MUA side, then the MTA side is a different story and has
been covered in this thread before.

Rob :)