On [Mon, 07.06. 08:05], alex wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2004, at 12:24 AM, Wim Verveen wrote:
>
> > I am actually trying this out. It doesn't catch a lot until now. Maybe
> > the database needs to grow or more 'points of measurement' are needed?
> >
> I think they need more points of measurement, the database doesnt
> really grow because
> they are only scanning mails on their own mailserver, and they drop
> ip's after 24h.

The main problem of a central database on infected hosts is, that today's
malware has a strong local spreading character.

let me put it another way to become clear: as far as I can tell about 95% of
virus senders come from the same TLD (in our case .at). This is a consequence
of the way e-Mail addresses are collected.

So such a Blacklist automatically gets a strong local bias an can never
possibly contain a reasonable amount of worldwide scum hosts. Except someone
puts up a central DB fed by people all 'round the Net.

  Goesta

--
Wiener Hilfswerk - EDV
1072 Wien, Schottenfeldgasse 29