Um, perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but... POP3 is not involved
in the sending of messages, hence there is no reason for POP3
authentication to be used when sending messages.

If you want to use external authentication for sending messages then you
need to set up SMTP authentication. Since you seem to be wanting the same
form of external authentication for sending, you should be able to use or
adapt the same code for SMTP authentication that you are currently using
for POP3 authentication.

Check the Xmail documentation for information on how to set up external
SMTP authentication. It's in there - I wrote a module to do NT-domain based
authentication for SMTP a while back.