I have run SpamAssasin on Windows servers (both with ActivePerl and CygWin)
and Linux servers.  Running SpamAssassin on Linux (or other unix) runs much
faster and more reliably than on Windows.

I run XMail on a Windows server and SpamAssassin on a Fedora Core 4 server.
Works like a charm.  I wrote a SpamC filter for Windows XMail Post-Data
filter to use.

If you are really limited to just one box, then you should try to run
SpamAssassin using CygWin so you can make full use of DCC, Pyzor, Razor and
such.  I still have an out-dated (but useful) page hidden on my server that
might help you...

http://www.yourtech.net/documents/cw-sa/

I will (someday) write step by step instructions for install XMail for
Windows, XMail-WAI (webmail and admin) for Windows, and SpamAssassin for
Fedora Core 4.

If you do decide to try Fedora Core 4, use YUM to install SpamAssassin.
It'll give you a startup script for SpamAssassin and install it as a
service.  Also note that SpamAssassin doesn't run under root account...
you'll need to create an account for it to run under... I named mine "spamd"
Jason J Ellingson