Hi David -

I think I have finally solved this mysterious problem, and of course it
was an element I had not even considered (as it often is).  The line
provider (Covad) for this server had a problem several weeks ago with
this line, about the time I was updating xmail to 1.25.  When they were
running tests on the line, they had slowed it down (from 5.4mb down/700k
up to 300k down/60k up) and they managed to leave it that way. By some
miracle the people using this server didn't notice (nor did I), aside
from this problem, as it also provides web services - it does explain a
lot of "strange" behavior I have been seeing, though!

This slowdown seems to have been causing a time out on the DNS query for
certain domains, so the common denominator may have been (just guessing)
a high latency on the response time for these particular domains coupled
with the very slow line speed of my servers connection, causing the fore
mentioned error (NXDOMAIN).  Now that the circuit is operating at its
proper speeds, the problem has gone away.

I don't know if this is a reflection on any particular package (Bind
under *BSD, XMail, etc.) in terms of low speed testing, but it might be
worth noting for someone that at very low speeds something is failing
intermittently.

Thanks for your help and input!

Jeff