I don't know why that last post got all bunched up...

Setting SmartHost to the m0n0wall router solved the problem.  So
something changed between 1.25 and 1.24 (or in FreeBSD) regarding
external DNS, possibly the "Completely changed the DNS resolution code"
part in the changelog?

Anyway this works fine - problem solved.

Thanks again,
Jeff