From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Hal Dell
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:27 AM
To: xmail@xmailserver.org
Subject: [xmail] Re: Help with Postini

Dear Don Drake -

> It's definitely possible to run multiple XMail servers on a single
machine, I have a bunch running.
> You will need separate installation directories and you'll have to specify
IP's on startup for each
> instance as well as setting XMAIL_PID_DIR for clean shutdowns.

Sure, I get all of the above requirements... Since, you mentioned,
XMAIL_PID_DIR that means
you are running on *nix as XMAIL_PID_DIR is NOT a valid environment variable
for Windows. Right?

Let's not loose site of the fact that I have a problem looking for a
solution in that....

It seems to me that other folks have commented on this same underlying
issue.. We need to lock
a domain to accept eMail from a specific upstream MTA. In this case, using
Postini does not help,
because the SPAMers simply continue to direct connect to xMail and bypass
Postini.

So an internal xMail solution could be an smtp.ipmap.tab filed that could be
added to the
domain level. Check this related url
http://www.mail-archive.com/xmail@xmailserver.org/msg08057.html.

Without the above fix, the question becomes how to finesse running multiple
xMail Server binaries
in my environment which is Windows?

Presently on Windows, when xMail.exe running as a service the OS goes out to
the registry
at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Xmail for the basic
service parameters to manage the process thru Services MMC... It's fairly
easy to poke
the Registry to create another service with a name like:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Xmail2.

I believe the possiblity of doing this on Windows, is going to come down to
if xMail.exe
is hard coded to go out to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\Xmail to look
for MAIL_ROOT and MAIL_CMD_LINE for the root folder and startup parameters
respectively as a replacement for envrionment vairables when running as a
service.

The docs (http://xmailserver.org/Readme.html#nt_win2k_xp) talk about this
registry
stuff from a simple installation point of view... Does anyone understand how
GNU
or maybe it's xMail maps the environment variables to the GNU registry
entry? Is it
simply looking up the file name of the exe or is the registry path simply
hard coded?

OR what would happen if I blank the MAIL_ROOT and MAIL_CMD_LINE can I add
the parameters directly on to the end of the ImagePath Regitry entry in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Xmail?

Hal Dell
Managing Partner
ePodWorks.net, Inc.