On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Jonathan Kelly wrote:

> 2009/3/31 fred <f...@fullmetalpacket.com>
>
>       I don?t know why but the account gets locked for some reason, a file is
> created inside
>       MailRoot/pop3locks/usern...@domain.lock and the file contains this:
> 34387167856
>
>       I have to manually delete the lock file or restart the server to fix
> the problem. While locked, it?s
>       impossible for him or me to retrieve his emails. I was wondering what
> could have caused this? Under
>       what circumstances a user gets his account locked? What can I do to
> prevent this from happening
>       again?
>
> Fred,
>
> This most typically happens when a POP3 client tries to download an email
> with a large attachment and the
> connection or download of the message data is unexpectedly stopped.  In
> short, this is a result of the RFC for
> POP3 which specifies a single connection per mailbox.  Your best option for
> handling this would be to get the
> users to switch to a more robust method, like IMAP.  There should be a
> timeout period on the lock, but I don't
> know what it is.

If the connection is (unexpectedly or not) stopped, XMail receives a
notification (assuming the OS does not have bugs), it shuts down its
session with the client, and removes the lock file. If the connections
gets somewhere stuck, the lock could remain there. But, XMail has timeouts
everywhere, so even if the client stops responding, XMail would get a
timeout, shutdown the client session, and remove the lock.