2009/3/31 fred <f...@fullmetalpacket.com>

>  I don’t know why but the account gets locked for some reason, a file is
> created inside MailRoot/pop3locks/usern...@domain.lock and the file
> contains this: 34387167856
>
> I have to manually delete the lock file or restart the server to fix the
> problem. While locked, it’s impossible for him or me to retrieve his emails.
> I was wondering what could have caused this? Under what circumstances a user
> gets his account locked? What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Fred,

This most typically happens when a POP3 client tries to download an email
with a large attachment and the connection or download of the message data
is unexpectedly stopped.  In short, this is a result of the RFC for POP3
which specifies a single connection per mailbox.  Your best option for
handling this would be to get the users to switch to a more robust method,
like IMAP.  There should be a timeout period on the lock, but* *I don't know
what it is.

-Jonathan