On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, David Lord wrote:

> I think Davide prefers the xmail options all to be in commandline
> whilst I'd prefer an xmail.conf but it's not that important an
> issue for me. My commandline options are set in /etc/rc.d/xmail
> but on linux I've no idea.

Let me be clear again on that.
People wanted command line arguments inside the server.tab file, which is
NOT the place from them. Command line arguments are parsed one at program
startup, and changing them after that results in nothing, since the
actions and configuration that are driven by them, are only performed at
boot time.
The server.tab file has, and had always been, a configuration file whose
options can be changed at any time, and immediately after are they visible
to the user.
The server.tab file is NOT the correct place for command line options.
Another file, like conf.tab or something, might be. Although do you really
need an extra file to pass comand line options, when you have the
environment (on Unix) and the registry (on Windows)?