On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, David Lord wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2010 at 9:27, Davide Libenzi wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, David Lord wrote:
> >
> > > I think Davide prefers the xmail options all to be in commandline
> > > whilst I'd prefer an xmail.conf but it's not that important an
> > > issue for me. My commandline options are set in /etc/rc.d/xmail
> > > but on linux I've no idea.
> >
> > Let me be clear again on that.
> > People wanted command line arguments inside the server.tab file, which is
> > NOT the place from them. Command line arguments are parsed one at program
> > startup, and changing them after that results in nothing, since the
> > actions and configuration that are driven by them, are only performed at
> > boot time.
> > The server.tab file has, and had always been, a configuration file whose
> > options can be changed at any time, and immediately after are they visible
> > to the user.
> > The server.tab file is NOT the correct place for command line options.
> > Another file, like conf.tab or something, might be. Although do you really
> > need an extra file to pass comand line options, when you have the
> > environment (on Unix) and the registry (on Windows)?
>
> I see that point very well and agree with it, it's just
> that to me /etc/rc.d/ seems a strange and forgetable
> place for configuration options. It's easy enough to
> arrange to pick up the commandline parameters from
> rc.conf or rc.local though so I might try that.

The problem with the "extra" configuration file, is where XMail finds it
w/out having to specify at least one command line option (the MAIL_ROOT
path), considering that it is possible to run multiple copies of XMail on
the same box.
Typical Unix way would be an "/etc/xmail.conf", which would fit a single
XMail install.  On Windows likely "%WINDIR%\xmail.conf".
One rule could be:

1) Look for "/etc/xmail.conf" or "%WINDIR%\xmail.conf"

2) Look for "/val/MailRoot/xmail.conf" or "C:\MailRoot\xmail.conf"

Still, w/out an -Ms parameter, this will only fit a single XMail install
setup.