xmame 0.77 is almost 20Mb in size and the majority of the code is not
used when emulating a single game. The situation will only get worse as
the number of supported games/machines increases.

I was thinking that if drivers, hardware emulation pieces, output
plugins etc, were dynamic loaded modules memory usage will be reduced
and other nice side-effects will result: plugins, new drivers without
recompiling the core etc.

I know that this is non-trivial but I will give it a shot sometime in
the near future if the xmame devs think it's a good idea and it might
get merged.

Any thoughts, comments?

Regards,
Nicos