On Monday 05 January 2004 11:21, smf wrote:
> It's insulting to treat MAME like a warez tool. It's not like anyone even
> bothered to dump the roms correctly and decrypt them, more neorage
> hack/bootleg rubbish. If you want to do it yourself or talk about it in a
> chat room then thats up to you, but posting here is really not a good
> thing.

Although I feel that the 3 years is arbitrary, and probably has more to do
with keeping (x)mame out of the spotlight than with copyright law (if you
have the right to a backup copy: you do so independent of the age; if you
don't: you're breaking the law), I do feel you make a very valid point here:
(x)mame to me is about preserving and studying the games/hardware of the
past. If you don't do this properly, please do it somewhere else.

I'm sure there's nothing in the (x)mame license about starting your own
spin-off with your own mailinglist that _does_ support these games or just to
create your own mailinglist for features like these. Just don't be surprised
if you get an email from a copyright lawyer.

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff