OK, I believe I have identified the problem, which is that I am an
EEEDIOT.

Sorta.

Deleting my old .cfg files did indeed get XInput working again, and
I'm very pleased about that, and it is indeed something I should have
done with the new xmame installation.  However, it is now very
jittery--and I'm not sure what the differences are between my old
cfg's and the new ones; a diff on default.cfg and tempest.cfg only
showed some keycode changes (so I'm not clear why one allowed XInput
and one didn't).

On a related note, I wanted to put together some ctrlr-style cfg files
for my setup (to try and reduce this foolishness when I upgrade).  And
I'm not clear at all--how do you reference XInput-based controls in a
.cfg file?  Am I reading right that MOUSECODE_X_BURFL is the BURFL
control for XInput-trackballX, where X is the integer identifier?

Sorry for causing any unnecessary wasted time,
-->VPutz