Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
On Wednesday 08 September 2004 13:50, Hans de Goede wrote:

I think I was a bit to negative here, effects are cool, and with
computers getting faster all the time its great that we support them.

So, should I start on the algorithms first, or will the change in structure to make it switchable (and perhaps automatically linked to scaling like I described?) give cause for a bit of patience? Currently there are no 4x scaling effects for me to look at for examples (my knowledge of the structure of the xmame source code is limited), but hq3x and lq3x should not be much of a problem.

I assume that you're going to hardcode seperate effects for different scaling factors to get things speed optimised. In that case feel free to add more effects. Any changes needed to things like linke effect and scale cmdline options won't have much impact on the dirty work of writing all those alghoritms.

On another note: how can I switch X to 555 mode, and aren't there two kinds of 555 mode as well? I seem to remember there being 3 different 16 bit colour specs.

Put "DefaultDepth 15" in the screen section of your xorg.conf. And add a 15 bpp Display section. That should do the trick if your card supports it.

But don't worry tom much about this, I'm going to fix this soon and the fix will be easy, just put all the 16bpp effects in a .h file define RMASK GMASK, BMASK and RSHIFT, GSHIFT and BSHIFT and a pre or postfix for the function names and include it as many times as needed.

That way I can generate seperate 16 and 15 bpp versions of all the effects without any problems. I do think the effect code needs to be split up over mutiple files for low mem machines :)

It would be nice if you could code any new effects to already use defines for the masks and shifts.

About the amount of different 16 bpp modes ouit there, I don't know any combination of RG and Bmasks is legal. On pc's you have 555 rgb and 565 rgb, but who knows what other archs have?

My plan is to support effects for 555 rgb and 565 rgb and printf an error and disable effects for other mask combos

Regards,

Hans