I have tested some more games with artwork, and this bug occurs on
more than just dkong.  here are two more examples:

http://tkmame.retrogames.com/astinvad.png
http://tkmame.retrogames.com/barrier.png (shows black line instead of red)

I think arknid2u also has this bug but it's hard to see, the line is brown.

I'm sure there are many others that exhibit this bug, let me know if
you want me to look for more examples.