On Nov 16, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Julian Sikorski wrote:

This is not mess-specific change and _not_ to ppc core as mips drc also
crashes with same backtrace. Moreover the crash appeared in vanilla u5
with unix subdir from released xmame-0.101. That time there was a change
to src/x86drc.h. I have never bootstrapped a compiler, but I wan
thinking about bootstarping gcc 3.4.4 just for compiling mame as it is
the only supported build tool. Could you help me a bit?

We're talking about two different problems: the MESS changes to the PPC core ARE interfering with scudrace, quite apart from the segfault you're seeing. When I use vanilla MAME 0.102 code, scudrace runs fine; when I apply the MESS changes, scudrace ceases to run.

As for bootstrapping GCC, it's surprisingly easy:

1. Extract the source code from the GCC tarball.
2. Create a build directory, preferably outside the GCC source tree; let's call it "build".
3. Go into the build directory and run

</path/to/gcc/sources/>configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc3 && make bootstrap

4. make install

You should then be able to set CC to /usr/local/gcc3/bin/gcc in your makefile and build away. If this takes care of the problem, it's anyone's guess as to the cause. I'd be kind of surprised if two different Fedora compilers cause the same segfault, but who knows.