Thanks for the response. I just tried the SDL joystick driver but I get
the same thing happen. The buttons work, but neither the dpad nor analog
sticks work.

I enabled JDEBUG and am seeing a response from the controller. This is a
sampling of what I see:

Axis=0,value=128
Axis=1,value=127
Axis=2,value=127
Axis=3,value=128
Axis=4,value=0
Axis=5,value=0
Axis=3,value=106
Axis=3,value=103
Axis=5,value=-1
Axis=5,value=0
Axis=5,value=1
Axis=4,value=-1
Axis=4,value=0
Axis=4,value=1
Axis=4,value=0
Axis=3,value=96
Axis=3,value=94
Axis=2,value=8
Axis=1,value=232
Axis=0,value=128
Axis=1,value=105
Axis=1,value=149
Axis=1,value=138
Axis=1,value=129
Axis=3,value=131

So, it looks like the joystick drivers are seeing the input, but I still
can't get a response from them within the game. Trying to remap keys or
control the game just does not respond to the dpad or analog sticks.

Next steps?