I compiled and installed SDLmame today and it worked right away.
Everything is working for me with SDLmame and it sounds like it make be
taking over for xmame in the future so I guess I'll stick with it.
Thanks for your help Lawrence. If there is anything else you want me to
try, I'd be glad to. Otherwise, I'm happy.