Hi,

> sorry for the radio silence, "real life" interfered in an urgent way.
> I'll look at your code and come back to you.
There is no Timeline :)
you already wrote it: It must be fun!

> DifferenceEvaluators.Default mandates a certain sense of similarity like
> TEXT and CDATA nodes of the same content are similar. I can envision
> use-cases where this doesn't match my expectation at all. This is
> especially true for differences in the order of child nodes which is
> also SIMILAR by default. If we always throw in DE.Default we impose
> this particular world view on all tests.
> > Even this rare cases could simply be handled with a method
> > ".deactivateDefaultDifferenceEvaluator()"
> Maybe, I'm not completely convinced. :-)
You convinced me, I will update my code.

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding what SimpleIgnoreNodesDifferenceEvaluator
> would do. The missing feature I talk about is a way to say "I'm not
> interested in any differences between the sub-trees /x/y/z of the
> documents". This is not anything I'd like to add to DifferenceEvaluator
> but rather provide as a new extension point DifferenceEngine needs to
> provide.

Thanks, now I understand what you mean.
I was not thinking to ignore a whole tree.
In my cases, it was always enough to ignore a simple Text-Element
or Attribute: a generated UUID, a date-time element or a version number.
Nice point!

> I've moved the shared test resources to a separate repository. This
> means you need to run "git submodule update --init" once inside your
> working copies after merging github's master branches of xmlunit or
> xmlunit.net.

Thanks, something new for me.
A little bit like "svn:externals" in svn.

> I've created a branch in order to experiment with separating the "do we
> want to stop comparing" functionality from "how severe is this
> difference".
> https://github.com/xmlunit/xmlunit/compare/ComparisonController

looks really great! I can't wait to update the DiffBuilder.

Harald