Tobias Rundström wrote:
Hello everyone!

The logo contest is over as you all know. I am very happy with the
results and the number of quality entries we got. We will launch the
second contest later this summer and before that I would like your
feedback.

I'm personally unhappy with the logo that won as I think a note is a little too ordinary for as extraordinary a player as XMMS2. (This is not a sleight or insult, just my taste in art.) However, the Condorcet voting method shows this is most popular among the widest audience, which I'd say outweighs my personal opinion, and the logo was drawn very well--it's recognizable and eye-catching. I'm also thankful that Arnaud was kind enough to correct the broken SVG.

http://xmms2-contest.blogspot.com/2007/05/contest-feedback.html

I posted a long comment here, but I'll duplicate part of it below so others can reply.

What do we want from our website / wiki? How should submissions be done?

<from blogger>
I already really like the Wiki and so I'm somewhat opposed to a redesign. However, one thing the Wiki does need is organization. As developers are the main source of information on the Wiki and Sham has been the only one actively trying to keep it clean and presentable, much of the information is, say, less-than-friendly.

When I think of a good organization I think of what I expect when I visit a project website for the first time. Either I've just heard the name of the project and I'm looking to know what it's about or I know what it is and I want a download. In the former case, I expect to see a brief summary of what the project is, "XMMS2 is an intelligent, medialib-based, cross-platform music player. <a href="what makes XMMS2 different from every other lame music player out there goes here">Learn more...</a>" In the latter case, I expect to see a prominent download link, usually in the sidebar. The download page should let me select my platform and the download I want. So far, we don't have [either of these] and it's frustrating. Keep it simple!

The only other things the wiki could use are maybe a nice ricey theme and heavy use of templates and categories. Since, presumably, the contest winner will give us a website and then disappear, us developer folk are going to have to maintain it. And so the burden of keeping it organized doesn't fall onto the shoulders of one man (Sham) again, there should be a truckload of templates and categories for us to jot down organized information. Right now, information is strewn across pages, formatted inconsistently, and duplicated.

All in all, I feel these improvements can be done by us, the XMMS2 team, if we just set some clear goals. So, you can imagine, I'm still a bit averse to the idea of a web design contest as opposed to a wiser investment. But, if there's nothing better out there, this'll save us a bit of work and I can't argue.
</from blogger>

I would like some more help for the next contest too. Processing all
entries takes a long time, time I don't have. Either we should
automate it in some neat way or we should have more hands.

I would be happy to help, though I really think this should be automated as much as sanely possible.

Please give you comments here or on the blog.

Thanks,
Tobias

Feedback appreciated,
Dan "Puzzles" Chokola