Johannes Jordan wrote:
> so probably not everybody on this list knows me already and therefore
> cares about my opinion, but I just think this is important enough to
> raise my voice. ;)

Well, now they know you, so next time they have to care about your
opinion :)

[..]

> Honestly, a good designed website is a big necessity as soon as the
> primary audience drifts from developers to end users.

[..]

> First principle of a good Wiki design for a free software project is to
> _not let it show it's a Wiki at all_ (don't hide that fact completely,
> though). A website doesn't have the single purpose to give information.
> It's also about advertising this information (or in our case, software).
> Joe can't get excited at XMMS2 if he gets bored at the website before.

I think this is really spot on.

The focus for the website this far has mostly been developers, and large
part of the wiki is just used as a braindump. I think it serves that
purpose pretty well - slightly disorganized, but not THAT bad.

Maybe we should keep it that way and have "marketing" and development
more separated. Not necessarily a separate website, but kept separate
and dev/braindump/discussions/ideas clearly marked as such.

But the again. Releases are still called "DR" as in developers release
suggesting that we are not yet ready for "users". Handling Joe User the
right way is more than just the webpage. Maybe we need to define more
than just goals based on features for first !DR release, and make a
clear picture of what we need outside the software itself to get a happy
userbase.

 anders