Hello all,

Currently I am at FOSDEM in brussels together with a bunch of XMMS2
developers. I wanted to give you a quick summary of the interesting
discussions we had yesterday in the Hotel Lobby. This is the second
year we had this little meet-up of developers at FOSDEM and I must say
that they are really great. Having discussions face-to-face is really
useful and I don't have to mention the beer do I?

The discussions around the XMMS2 developers this year has been less
technology and code focused than last year. One of the main topics
this year was the lack of working project management and coordination
within the team. Since my day-job these days is project management I
have agreed to help out with this. I believe that if we focus and
organize our team we can achieve our goal! I will focus on these
issues and I will leave the technical discussion minutes to someone
else (theefer: *nudgenudge*).

Inspired by Bdale who held the Debian keynote I have decided that the
first task I am going to work on is the community vision. If we don't
know what our final goal is, how can we then achieve it? During next
week I will publish a draft of the XMMS2 Community vision document, in
order to make this document useful I need everyones input and feedback
on the draft. We need to find common ground and goals in order to
function as a team.

Once we have a common vision document I will start on a draft of the
development guidelines. This document will outline how we work as a
group and how we keep track on what other people are working on.
Currently there is a big frustration in the community because people
doesn't always know what other people are working on and sometimes
this leads to several topic-branches that can't get merged easily.
There are several different ideas on how to solve this, but in the end
we need to summarize these ideas and write down the guidelines.

I will also try my best to resurrect the monthly news e-mail (first
one will be sent out before the end of february) and re-introduce
IRC-meetings again.

If you have any comments, ideas, criticism or praise about the above
plan, please e-mail the list or me directly (if you don't want to
discuss it in public). I am a big believer in transparency and open
communication, that means that I will value every single opinion
within the community and take them into account.

Expect more to come,
Thanks,
Tobias @ FOSDEM