Of course, since you've enforced newer xcmiscproto and friends in the
pkg-config checks, you'll always have these headers.

bah.  yes.  I'll back those out.

Another thing to think about is that libX11 is currently in 1.3 RC
phase, so it's reasonable to enforce newer proto versions in addition
to the version of xproto needed for generic events. We can branch from
before the generic events patches (75fe48e7a) and cherry pick patches
for a 1.2.x for people on more stable systems. In fact, there aleady
is libX11-1.2-branch.

Yeah, I considered that as well, and I'd be fine either way. I'd prefer the original patch (forcing new protos), but I do believe the 1.2 branch is "good enough" for anyone stuck on old protos.