Around 11 o'clock on Sep 15, Sidik Isani wrote:

>   It may be enough.  Usually we look at our images with simple
>   grey scales, and just need a way to exaggerate contrast to bring
>   out features.  I'd like to learn more about DirectColor.  How much
>   control does it give over luminence curves?  Which XFree86 drivers
>   support it (at depths > 8bpp)?

DirectColor provides a LUT for each component -- the 256 possible
values for each component are mapped to any of 256 possible inputs to the
DAC.  Traditionally, this is used to compensate for the monitor response
curve while exposing linear intensity to applications.

Most PC graphics hardware supports this mode; although the i128 driver
doesn't currently expose it.  I don't know if this is a hardware
limitation or just missing code in the driver though.

The apm, ati, mga, nv, s3, savage drivers look like they do support
DirectColor; I don't know about the others.

>  Would "x2x" plus 2 screen layouts do the trick?

I don't know; I'm not very familiar with x2x.

>  That sounds like a reasonable solution.  Do any popular programs
>  require Render?  Can I just leave this extension out completely
>  for this application?

As Render is still new, most applications can work without it.  It
provides for anti-aliased graphics and RGBA image compositing, and on your
digital monitors performs sub-pixel optimized rendering to make text
really sharp looking.  I'll see about adding a configuration option to
tune the number of pixels used; it will work with only black & white which
are always available.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.