On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Keith Packard wrote:

> I see two easy solutions for this problem:
>
>       1)      Have Render use fewer colors from the default colormap
>       2)      Have XFree86 promote StaticColor as the usual default visual

   3) No preallocated colors by default.

It might be reasonable to assume users stuck in PseudoColor are there
because they have antiquated hardware, in which case, they don't have
very high expectations for things like anti-aliasing.  Either that
or they are in PseudoColor for a the palettes, in which case, they
might resent preallocations of any type.

                        Mark.