On Fri, 2001-10-19 at 20:23, Greg Ward wrote:

> for a variety of reasons, I typically run two X servers: :0 on vc 7,
> :1 on vc 8.  (This is XFree86 4.1.0; Debian package 4.1.0-6; Linux
> 2.4.12 with framebuffer device compiled in.)  I would like to reduce
> the time to switch from VC 7 to 8 -- both servers are running with the
> same XF86Config-4, so the modes and timings are (presumably)
> identical.  It looks as though someone -- either X or the kernel
> console driver -- insists on taking things back down to the "ground
> state" (the mode the VC was in before X took over, I guess) and then
> switching mode back. It takes anywhere from 3 to 20 seconds to switch
> between the two X servers. Is it possible to avoid the double mode
> switch on changing VCs between two X servers?

No, the X server has to return the hardware to the state it found it in.

> Failing that, ISTR reading somewhere that putting the console in
> framebuffer mode would help, as long as the console's video mode is the
> same as X's.

The console's video mode shouldn't matter. What does matter is that the
X server uses the framebuffer device interface, otherwise it still has
to save and restore the hardware state. If your X driver doesn't support
Option "UseFBDev" you're SOL.

> Well, even running with the console's 1280x1024 75Hz mode
> didn't help, so presumably the timings are not identical to X's
> 1280x1024 75 Hz mode.  Is it possible to ensure that the console and X
> are using the *exact* same timings,

Yes, use fbset -x to get an X mode definition. But as I pointed out, it
shouldn't matter. The important thing is that the two VCs you want to
switch between use the same mode.

> and if so will this work -- ie. will switching between X VCs be just like
> switching between console VCs in the same mode, ie. more-or-less
> instantaneous?

It depends on the framebuffer device. If yours doesn't do this, you'll
have to hack it. :)