On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

> On 6 Apr 2002, Josh wrote:
> > How can I switch between the X servers without them changing the video
> > mode?  I'm willing to hack code to make this work if someone can point
> > me in the right direction.
> >

>    You can't.  When the server X server enters the VT it is going
> to reinitialize the mode.  When it leaves, it is going to restore
> the mode it initially saved.  Those are the rules.  The particular
> instance of the server doesn't know that another server is just
> going to reset it to the same mode.

If you start the second X server when the first is the active video
(and they use the same video mode) then switching one way will only
switch between identical modes.
Not ideal, but might be a slight improvement on starting both servers
from a standard VT, which probably means switching to a different
mode, and back again every time you switch between servers.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna