On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

> > >    You can't.  When the server X server enters the VT it is going
> > > to reinitialize the mode.  When it leaves, it is going to restore
> > > the mode it initially saved.  Those are the rules.  The particular
> > > instance of the server doesn't know that another server is just
> > > going to reset it to the same mode.

> > If you start the second X server when the first is the active video
> > (and they use the same video mode) then switching one way will only
> > switch between identical modes.
> > Not ideal, but might be a slight improvement on starting both servers
> > from a standard VT, which probably means switching to a different
> > mode, and back again every time you switch between servers.

>    Which mode does the second server restore?  It didn't save
> a text mode if it didn't start in one.  If you quit the first
> server and then quit the second you restore a graphics mode.
> Also, how does the first server know that it's not supposed restore
> the text mode on this particular VT switch.  Note that if it switches
> to another VT, where there isn't an X server, it's expected to
> restore a text mode in that case. This is not a problem that
> can be solved correctly.

No, drivers will always see the original text mode.  Regardless of where
the second server is started from, it will activate its own VC.  This'll
cause the first server to switch out, restoring the text mode it saw on
entry, in time for the second server's drivers to save it again.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |