Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, F. Heitkamp wrote:
>
>> >module installed.
>> >
>> >   You said it crashed.  Do you mean it segfaulted?  Do you have
>> >a stack trace?
>> >
>> X just stops.  The image of the session remains in the framebuffer but
>> no interaction
>> can take place.  Trying to kill X using the ps command (from
>a remote
>
>   Does the cursor move?
>
>> terminal)  is
>>  not able to remove X or the image from the screen.  The only way to get
>> the console
>> back is to reboot.  I vaguely remember looking at the log files, and
>> seeing nothing
>> out of the ordinary.
>>
>> I would be glad to provide more information, if I could (suggestions
>> welcome).
>
>   If the server is still running it would be good to see a
>gdb backtrace to find out where it is at.  It if segfaulted,
>a backtrace on the core dump would be useful.
>

>                               Mark.

A similar thing happens to me with my VooDoo3 when it freezes during fullscreen 3D and
one thing you can do to avoid rebooting is to run xinit or whatever in the remote
session that you used to kill X and you should find that the X server starts up again
on the main machine and you can use it as normal without rebooting. The only problem
with this is that if you kill the remote sesson Xgoes down with it. You'll also find
that if you exit the X session normally the frozen screen that you had before will
miraculously(?) return.

Mike.