Mike wrote:

>Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>X just stops.  The image of the session remains in the framebuffer but
>>>no interaction
>>>can take place.  Trying to kill X using the ps command (from
>>>
>>a remote
>>
>>  Does the cursor move?

No.

>>>terminal)  is
>>> not able to remove X or the image from the screen.  The only way to get
>>>the console
>>>back is to reboot.  I vaguely remember looking at the log files, and
>>>seeing nothing
>>>out of the ordinary.
>>>
>>>I would be glad to provide more information, if I could (suggestions
>>>welcome).
>>>
>>  If the server is still running it would be good to see a
>>gdb backtrace to find out where it is at.  It if segfaulted,
>>a backtrace on the core dump would be useful.

I tried  to use gdb to get more information.  I am not familiar with
using gdb to
attach to a process.  What follows is the information so far.  Could someone
enlighten me as to what command will cause gdb to spill it's guts about the
process?

I also compiled and installed the latest benh kernel and XFree CVS
sources. I
included "#define BuildDebug YES" and uncommented the line to build debug
versions of the libraries in my host.def file.  Is this enough to get
all the debug
symbols in the executables?

> pmac:/usr/X11R6/bin# gdb X 25382
> GNU gdb 2001-09-15-cvs (MI_OUT)
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
> you are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"...
> /usr/X11R6.test/bin/25382: No such file or directory.
> Attaching to program: /usr/X11R6.test/bin/X, process 25382
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libz.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libz.so.1
> Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.6...done.
> Loaded symbols for /lib/libm.so.6
> Reading symbols from /lib/libdl.so.2...done.
> Loaded symbols for /lib/libdl.so.2
> Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
> Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
> Reading symbols from /lib/ld.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /lib/ld.so.1
> 0x102f19ac in ?? ()
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x102f19ac in ?? ()