On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Jens Owen wrote:

> Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>
> > Also, I can make drm driver work nice with older 2d drivers - as soon as
> > someone will show me a way to tell the version of the 2d driver that is
> > accessing the drm driver.
>
> How about using a new set of IOCTL numbers for the new interface--then
> you'll know whether you have an old or new driver accessing it.

Jens, it is not a new interface. It is simply a matter of moving AGP and
framebuffer apertures within cards internal address space. If it is moved
the buffers (texture, ring buffer, indirect, etc)  need to have their
addresses adjusted. (that was the place where documentation was wrong..
it named those fields as "offsets" but they are absolute addresses). Once
it is setup and the buffer addresses are ok everything goes in as before.
But if any component gets the wrong idea and tells the card "go get a texture
from the wrong place" it all locks up.

To reiterate it is simply a matter of initializing the card.

The problem arises from the fact that initialization is done both in 2d
driver and drm driver. DRM initializes the ring buffer and 2d driver sets up
framebuffer and passes down various buffers - texture, stencil, depth,
etc. If either is wrong lockup results.

                                  Vladimir Dergachev