> Kevin said:
> - If we want to update the DRM drivers in the Linux kernel to say DRM
>   version y', which supports the new XFree86 4.3.0 drivers (DDX version
>   x'), then DRM version y' MUST also support the older DDX version x
>   drivers as well for backwards compatibility.

Two other points I wanted to add.

We don't have to keep this backward compatability forever. It is
acceptable to remove obsolete interfaces after a reasonable period of
time. Reasonable is at least 2 or 3 XFree releases so that's probably
18-24 months later. This will help avoid the buildup of old code in the
drivers.

It's also acceptable to have compile options that turn old interfaces on
and off as long as you've got one set of sources that can be built with
all the interfaces turned on. That way if the user is concerned about
memory and kernel bloat they can pick specific interfaces and compile
their kernel that way, but then it is up to them to make sure they're
running matching versions of everything. I wouldn't bother with this
unless there's major interface changes that represent a significant
amount of code, but it is an option.

                                                - |Daryll