> This will result in no available text consoles, but you can still use
> Crtl-Alt-Fn to switch to a blank, unused VT. He doesn't want that to be
> available.

Hmmm, OK. Then there is a need for this functionality.

BTW, this isn't way it works on FreeBSD with syscons, possibly other *BSDs as
well. If I run getty's on vty[0-3] & X11 on vty8, I can't switch to the
"unused" VTY's, it just beeps.

> I think all that is needed is a simple utility to lock the VT.
> The same code would be used in XFree86, but it doesn't need to be
> in XFree86 to work:
>
>  ioctl (fd, VT_LOCKSWITCH, 1); /* lock the switch */
>  ioctl (fd, VT_UNLOCKSWITCH, 1); /* unlock it again */

Hmm, and how many systems will recognise those ioctls again?

The original user was after a solution for Linux but I'm not interested in
providing a Linux-specific solution as I'd prefer to address the generic case
for all OSes that have VTY-switching support.

Then it might actually be useful to me as well one day.

Cheers,

AS