On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 07:12:48PM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> Basically, the drivers on the S3 site as far as I'm concerned are
> of zero importance to anyone, other than the fact someone can say
> "we support Linux, download our driver from http://foo".;  I trust
> Tim's own code to the point that if S3 released an actual driver
> that had in-house written bug fixes, I would pass it by Tim first
> to ensure the code is sane.  Tim's 1.1.20t driver in particular
> fixed a _lot_ of bugs that were long standing.  After updating to
> this driver I received a lot of thanks back from happy Savage
> users both outside and inside Red Hat.

The S3 drivers worked with my RH7.1 CD without the need to perform any upgrades so
they do have some use. I would think that not ALL users are necessarily going to be
keen to upgrade all the time.

If Tim's drivers had worked with my machine as installed then I would have used them
for the reasons you mentioned.

But just to summarise. My understanding is that I can either upgrade my standard 7.1
installation with the XFree86-4.1..rpms OR I can install RH7.2 but that both include
Tim's latest driver (ie. 1.1.20t) ?

According to Nino sound appears to work OK on the Tecra under RH7.2 so it looks like I
need to go down to the local shop and check out the price of RH7.2 :-)

Thanks for the responses,

Wilson Fletcher