James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

>Of more use I've jsut remembered that all of the details of the HDTV
>standards are published and I beleive available for public download at
>SMPTE's web site.  Those should contain sufficient details of the
>timing, including blank intervals et al, to produce accurate xfree
>mode lines.
>
>You'll most likely need to do a bit of math to convert from timings in
>µs to timings in pixels, but the published details should be enough.

Just tonight I was talking with a friend of mine who did all the work
exactly as you said, though for win2k (same issues).  His story kind of
scares me a bit though, as his TV died a month or so after he finally
got all the good 'modelines'.  Luckily for him, it was less than a month
beyond warranty, and he was able to convince toshiba to replace his tv.
 His suspicion is that it the timings he settled on were probably just
fine, though the much experimentation he went through to find them may
have been to blame for the tv death.  Very unfortunately, he says he
'lost' them all since he decided just not to push his luck after that.

Since its not my TV I'm playing with anyway (my brothers), AND its out
of warranty, I think I probably won't chase this down until I hear some
reports of other people being successful (and figuring out the modelines
for me).

I know HDTV's are still pretty rare (outside silicon valley :), but I
would hope that good sets of hdtv modelines make it into X, or at least
a readme/howto.  I personally would have expected such a document to be
available 2 years ago or more.  I'm really quite surprised that I
haven't heard of more people doing it.  I did just hear of a windows
bbs/mailing-list for that topic.  If I find it, and its relevent/useful,
and can translate it to xfree86, perhaps I can write said document.

-dmc