Around 13 o'clock on Jun 2, Keith Packard wrote:

> I think I'll add an aspect ratio field to allow the right thing to
> happen.

Yes, that looks much better now -- aspect ratios of 1.2 still snap glyphs
to the pixel grid to make them appear sharper when hinting is enabled.

With current CVS, you can edit .fonts.conf to include:

    <!-- set default aspect ratio for fonts not specifying one -->
        <match target="font">
                <test qual="all" name="aspect" compare="eq">
                        <double>0</double>
                </test>
                <edit name="aspect" mode="assign">
                        <double>1</double>
                </edit>
        </match>

    <!-- double the aspect ratio to make fonts twice as wide -->
        <match target="font">
                <edit name="aspect" mode="assign">
                        <times>
                                <name>aspect</name>
                                <double>2</double>
                        </times>
                </edit>
        </match>

And, you can specify the aspect ratio in a font name:

        $ xclock -digital -render -fa 'times:aspect=4'

These effects are cumulative; with both in place, the font will be
displayed 8 times as wide as normal.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab