Well I tried your drivers. In short, they didnt work. Both the LCD and
CRT came up with distorted lines (which can best be described as noise)
and my machine froze.

I tried using "ati" and "radeon" in the card section and have attached
my XF86Config-4. The logs can be found at
http://www.senfamily.org/xfree/XFree86.0.log_HUI
and
http://www.senfamily.org/xfree/XFree86.0.log_HUI.radeon

The XF86Config-4 file was also overwritten with garbage after I tried to
use "radeon" as my driver. (This could be a file system corruption due
to the freeze + rebooting)

So far, a single monitor configuration using the old "radeon" (GATOS?)
driver is working best for me. I reported that using "ati" and a dual
headed configuration worked too. However, power management is broken in
that configuration. The screen distorts if the machine is left alone for
a while or the machine is put into 'suspend/sleep' mode.

I am stuck with a 50 Hz refresh display on the CRT with both the
multi-headed 'ati' driver and the single-headed 'radeon' driver. I have
chosen to use the 'radeon' as it seems to support power management.

DS