On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Joseph Pingenot wrote:

> I think what he means here is resizing the screen *without* going to a
>   virtual screensize.  One can resize the screen via keys or via a GUI
>   (e.g. wmxres), but the problem is that it's a *virtual* screen then,
>   and, instead of acting like a full screen, one scrolls around on the
>   larger "virtual" screen.
> What would be nice is a way to have X not make the new screen res virtual,
>   but actual.  :)

That is the place when the criticism of a 20 year old standard is valid.
The X standard guarantees applications that the size of the screen
will not change. An extension which gets around this is being
worked on, but until all the details are ironed out, it isn't sensible
to put in the major work on every driver to implement it.
Try out one of the Kdrieve/TinyX servers if you want to test the
RandR (Rotate and Resize) extension.

> BTW, what Xlib calls are involved to change screen resolution?  I couldn't
>   find one in the manpages, so far as I can tell.

man XF86VidMode

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna