Brian Paul wrote:
> Keith Whitwell wrote:
>
>> Ti Leggett wrote:
>>
>>> There seems to be a 512x512 OpenGL texture size limit for ATI 7500
>>> Mobility. There's a game I'm helping test and it uses textures over
>>> 1024x1024 and they work on a regular ATI 7500 but don't on a 7500
>>> Mobility. 512x512 textures do work though. Any ideas why this is? It's
>>> not a hardware limitation because the same game runs fine @ 1024x1024
>>> textures under windows. Thanks!
>>

>> The maximum texture size is scaled down according to how much memory
>> you have.
>>
>> There are games out there (quake 2, iirc) that don't behave correctly
>> without this.  It may be a behaviour that's outlived it's usefulness
>> however -- it's not required by the GL spec at all.
>

> I'm not sure I understand.
>
> We should advertise GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE such that N textures of that size
> can be accomodated (where N = num texture units).

OK, That's what we do.  I didn't realize it was a requirement, however, I just
did it to make q2 work properly many years ago.

The windows driver probably is using agp texturing to fit the larger textures
in, which we should do also.

Keith