> I do not think that XFree cvs will solve allocation pbs in general. If
> you start your server with XRender (which allocate "only" 85 colors)
> and then start, says, a kde application (without limiting the colors
> to 64) then almsot surly all the colours will be allocated. So your
> application will be unusable without a private cmap. About read-only
> color in PseudoColor mode, I suggest to take the more close colour in
> the used colormap if XAllocColor fail.
>
> Regards, Olivier

 Olivier,

 Thanks for advice. I have tested a private colormap,
but I would prefer to use the system map. The "NoRenderExtension"
option in the nvidia driver makes it possible, but I still need
to close other system apps to get started (Konqueror is a real
killer). You suggest "limiting the colors to 64" in KDE apps.
I'd like to try it. How/where do I set this limit?

 Thnaks, Voytek