On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Keith Packard wrote:

> Someone should implement 8-bit emulation on direct color hardware.

I'd like to do this.
Where abouts would it go in -
I guess that this would be another directory alongside
        programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf24_32bp
and
        programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf8_32bpp ?
Where should I look to generate the list of functions which would need to
be implemented ?

Are we just going for 8bit pseudocolor on 24 bit directcolor,
or is it worth trying 5bit pseudo on 15/16 bit directcolour too ?

Can anyone point me at instructions for testing an X server,
once I thing I have it working ? I know about
        ftp://devel.xfree86.org/xtest.bin.tgz
but never managed to run individual tests or understand the failure
reports.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna